Sunday, May 1, 2016

Content Outline (Final Project)

            This blog post will contain the first glimpse into my final proect: the outline. This outline will provide a basic structure as to the information my project will contain.
Opening:
Once upon a time, there was a boy named Ben.
·      Play “bed time story” background music
·      Ben was very similar to other children
·      He had a very wild imagination
·      He found it fun to bring wild and crazy ideas into reality
·      Ben also went to school
·      His teachers never liked his writing very much because it was “off topic”
·      Reference a comment made by a high school teacher
·      And then, Ben grew up
·      While he was still procrastinating, his ideas seemed to make more sense
·      His process of planning and researching helped create more coherent ideas
·      Setting: reading a story, by a fire place, with glasses on
How to grab the reader’s attention:
1.     Make the introduction like a bed time story. Play soft background music and possibly sit by a fire. This will provide a nice and easy transition into the topic of a writing process
2.     Introduce myself in the third person. This will make the story seem less repetitive (as the use of “I” and “my” will be reduced. It can also make the introduction more relatable to the audience (through personal anecdotes (ethos) that are spoken about me, by me, in the third person).
First topic: My brainstorming and research process has become more thorough
·      This is the “morning” part of the day in a “day in the life of Ben’s writing process”
·      Make sure the background is very colorful and “fresh”
Evidence 1: Project 3 introduction and a paper earlier in the year
·      I used to first start about by trying to relate the topic in the most interesting way possible (the intro was quite off-topic)
·      Begin with video. Read a slight bit from my paper
·      Insert a video of the narcoleptic dog
·      There wasn’t much motivation behind these papers
·      I waited until the last moment
·      Then, my brainstorming became more relevant (the intro had way more to do with my paper)
·      Read a part from project 3 intro
·      Insert an idea map
·      My topics weren’t so off-topic
·      My motivations changed: I wanted to produce something that I was truly proud of
·      I began to start brainstorming earlier
·      Similarities: I still attempted to draw analogies between my topic and something from the outside world. Still like to just get my ideas out on paper
·      Future brainstorming: research based. It will be much more focused/scientific thinking.
·      This piece of evidence is significant because it shows how the brain storming process of my writing has changed
·      It shows how my ideas about how to introduce my topic have become more relevant
·      Discuss how it’s different brainstorming/research for each genre
Evidence 2: Cluster map for project 1.
·      This cluster map shows how I went into a lot of detail into researching my topic
·      The various stakeholders identified shows how I greatly considered my audience before I started writing
·      I used to never go into this much research
·      My research was sometimes too close to the deadline
·      Broad topics (like current controversies) are sometimes hard to explain
·      Leads to a lot of unnecessary research (wasted time)
·      I like for there to be a specific prompt to write on (for abstract ideas)
·      I prefer to limit my research so I can incorporate my own ideas
·      Sometimes the amount of ideas backfires on me
·      I have learned to start research earlier
·      Insert video of someone researching a bunch of topics
·      Use time-lapse format
·      Sip on coffee/ eat cereal
·      This is significant because it shows the level of detail that I now go into in order to construct a publication
·      Shows my motivation to get a good grade
·      The research depends on the genre (interviews, research, argument, etc.)
Second topic: Development of my outline/rough draft
Evidence 1: Outline to project 1 vs. project 3
·      They show that the construction of the outline depends on the genre
·      Project one was much more scientific and exact
·      Project 3 was more open-ended
·      Learned that outlines truly provide the framework for the publication
·      Except in the case of a QRG
·      Rely on the genre to advance your topic (format of an essay provides a more formal and detailed setting for the topic)
·      Outlines serve as a way to organize thoughts
·      Used to be somewhat difficult to do this
·      Time management: earlier starting time allowed me to construct my ideas better
·      Easier to make the outline
·      This piece of evidence is significant because it shows the differences in outlines between an essay and a QRG
·      I’ve never done outlines because I usually just write what I am thinking
·      Still hard for me to start the outline
Evidence 2: Rough cut from podcast (project 2) and from project 1
·      The podcast is an example of how the rough draft of a podcast is very different than an essay
·      Podcasts are more open-ended
·      Don’t need as much time for the podcast because you can speak freely
·      Essays require more time to construct
·      My rough draft used to be my final draft
·      Still learning how to construct a rough draft in a timely manner
·      This is significant because it shows how different genres require different amounts of time to construct them
·      Also shows how I have learned to make my outlines more exact so my rough draft was easier to construct
·      Eating lunch
·      Mid-day
·      People-talking in the background
·      Make the space more open for the podcast segment
Third topic: Editing the rough draft and the final product
·      Night time
·      Dinner/jammies
Evidence 1: Reviews I got on my first project vs. third project
·      The peer reviews on my first project show that I did not consider them at all
·      I am the type of writer that usually doesn’t change my publication much based on other’s ideas
·      I like to keep it my own
·      Project 3’s peer reviews show that I incorporated them into my QRG and took them into consideration
·      Editing my own draft differed in each genre
·      Essays took the most and QRG did not take as much
·      More editing time for the essays
·      My feedback has become more helpful (reference a few peer reviews)
·      This is significant because it shows how my writing process has changed (as I began to incorporate peer reviews)
Evidence 2: Final products for project 1 and project 2
·      Shows how time management plays a role in the final product of your paper
·      Project 1 was more last minute than project 2 was
·      Shows how I have become better at not procrastinating
·      I realized that my time spent on the project will be reflected in the final draft
·      I have become more of an organized writer
·      Display glimpses of each project
·      Go to videos of rushing to submit a final draft
·      This is significant because it shows how my motivations and time management have changed
Closing
·      Be in bed
·      Well, that is a day in the life of Ben’s writing process
·      He used to not like having structure before he wrote his papers
·      However, with time and practice, he learned to use time management and research to help construct his ideas
·      We can see that the type of research and brainstorming depends on the genre available
·      The clear ideas that he had before his outline helped him construct something useful for the rough draft
·      The format of the outline often depended on the genre written in
·      Some of the genres were easier to write in because the format pushed the topic forward
·      The revision process became more meaningful for the final draft
·      And Ben lived happily every after. The end.
Larger significance:
1.     The concepts that I have learned and the skills that I have developed will help me in all future courses (writing a personal statement for medical school)

2.     Time management is so significant to every day life. I can apply it to all aspects of my life (making enough time for my job, family, and hobbies)

No comments:

Post a Comment