Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Pronoun Usage

1.     I think my pronoun usage is mostly effective because I use a majority of them to replace a subject already mentioned. Doing so prevents the piece from being overly wordy and repetitive. Sometimes I use ‘they’ or ‘it’ too often when going between two different subjects, which is confusing as to which subject it doing which action. Analyzing my pronoun usage makes me more conscious of when I should use pronouns. When first writing the piece, I overlooked the minute details like pronouns. This shows me that I need to re-read and make sure everything makes sense to prevent confusion.
Beale, Scott. "Rough Draft Issue #48" 01/18/2007 via flickr 
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic

2.     I refer to the audience once using ‘us’. Us is an inclusive word however, so I am including myself as the author with the audience. I use it in context with describing a scientific process, so I am
     directing to myself and the audience to learn about something that is not common knowledge together rather than commanding them to learn something that they might otherwise not care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment